Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Explore. Dream. Discover.

I am knee deep in Trip Planning. I've even named my trip: London and Beyond 2011. The tentative departure date is November 1, which from yesterday would mark 24 weeks away.

Although I do not make a lot of money in the form of a paycheck each week, I have now saved a whopping $701.20 since April 25. Needless to say I am only spending money on essentials. I have given myself a grocery budget each week and although I've also given myself an entertainment budget, I haven't had to dip into it yet. I have also budgeted all my bills that are due this month and then I plan on putting any remaining money I have at the end of the month into savings. Doing baking orders helps too; I have designated any profit from those as Trip Savings.

In an effort to save money I have given up the following:

- Pedicures
- Seeing movies at the theater
- Drinking
- Eating meals out
- Buying music online
- Impulse purchases
- New clothes
- New shoes
- Accessories
- Make up

And I've relegated to using drugstore mascara instead of the expensive stuff. It's been tough to deal with...but it will be worth it.

Next to go is food altogether. I can live on lentils. $0.99 a day. It could happen.


My money saving scale. Yes, I am a nerd.


I've got a stack of guidebooks that is at least a foot tall. I've been obsessively making lists of the places I want to go and the things I want to see. In addition to going to Paris for a day, Nikole and I have also decided to go to....wait for it...STONEHENGE!!!!! (I think I already mentioned Stonehenge in the last post but it is STONEHENGE and it is worth mentioning twice. I mean, c'mon....IT'S STONEHENGE!!!!)

I got my passport photo taken last weekend. What a spectacle THAT was. I went into CVS Pharmacy and after 3 attempts at taking the perrrrfect photo, the associate put it through to print. 20 minutes of me standing around and waiting later...they tell me their system is down. So, as an unhappy camper - I left. I went to Walgreens and after 12 photo attempts and multiple hairstyles, I was satisfied with my photo. So, I got my two passport photos and went on my way. I already have my passport application all filled out so I just need to turn it in and get the process going.

The first big step of Trip Planning in the purchasing department is the flight. And as of right now, the plan is to buy the flight on May 31. That's two weeks away!! I have spent countless hours researching flights so I'm excited to finally make the purchase and have a set departure and return date. I'm looking forward to the layover too as I'm sure it will be somewhere on the East Coast that I've never been before. The furthest east I have ever been is Illinois I think!

Plans seem to be coming together quite nicely. The hotel room is actually a private furnished vacation apartment in a safe neighborhood, we are going to travel using the Tube (that's the Underground train system for those of you not up on the London lingo ; ) ), and we are taking two day trips...one to Paris one to Stonehenge. I have a feeling that 24 weeks is going to go by pretty quickly seeing as how that last 3 have flown by since I decided to actually go.


“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous! That sounds awesome. And good job on finding the way to save the money to do it.

    ReplyDelete