Sunday, October 17, 2010

15 weeks down, 8 to go...

October 10 - 16, 2010

Sunday: 5 miles - in UT.

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 4 miles

Wednesday: Pushed to Thursday

Thursday: 5 miles

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Skipped a 7 mile run...

I started to have a pain in my right lower leg when I was in UT last weekend. It progressively got worse and was super uncomfortable by Thursday. I still completed my 5 mile run but regretted it afterward. It's a pain on the inner part of my lower leg, that causes me to almost burst into tears everytime my foot hits the ground. I feel it when I'm walking too and it is even sore to the touch. I thought that it was shin splints - but then I realized...if it were shin splints wouldn't it be in BOTH legs? I have chalked it up to doing a lot of hills in UT over the course of two days (which I am NOT used to.) I have rested for a few days and done some at-home remedies to try and alleviate the pain. By this Tuesday I hope my leg is well enough to get back on track. I have a 12 mile run on the 23!

3 comments:

  1. Shin splints can be in one or both legs...and are usually caused by over training or sudden training increases. Rest, ice, compression, elevate. A week off will do your body good. You'll be back with more energy and won't miss a beat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can have shin splints in just one leg. Sometimes muscle imbalances can cause you to impact one side more than the other.

    Also, you are right that the hills could irritate it, if you are not used to them. Also, most roads are uneven so you could be coming down more on one side that the other.

    I might suggest a chiropractor to work out any muscle imbalances? Plus ice and ibuprofen and try doing the ABCs with your foot to strengthen your lower leg muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I comment on this one...did you not get it. email me if it didn't go through and I'll comment again.

    ReplyDelete