Sunday, June 27, 2010

Down to business...

Today is (finally) June 27, 2010. From this day forward I can officially say that I'm training for a half marathon. Today marks my first training "session", which I completed this morning.

This week's training schedule looks like this:

- Sunday: RW 35 min. (DONE - 2.16 miles)
- Monday: Rest
- Tuesday: RW 35 min.
- Wednesday: RW 40 mins.
- Thursday: Cross train, 40-60 min.
- Friday: Rest
- Saturday: RW 45 min.

RW stands for Run/Walk, but I will mostly run because that's what I'm used to doing.

I counted down the days from today to the half marathon...and I believe it is 156. 156 days to go from only ever running a little over 3 miles to 13.1! My plan is to run the entire thing without walking. I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be able to do that.

So, this is my life now. Half marathon training. Up early every morning to run. Sore legs. Sore body. Sweaty arm pits. Crazy hair. Running shoes. Shorts. The "Ta-Ta Tamer". I can already taste the sweetness of crossing the finish line in December. All of this will totally be worth it!

To aid in my training, I got a box of exercise enhancing Vitapaks from GNC. I'm pretty good about taking vitamins and supplements and what not, but I wanted a little something extra for an added boost.


I once took Disney Princess chewable vitamins, now I take the Grown Up ones. What a difference.


I ordered a really fancy contraption a few days ago. It's an ID tag that attaches to my shoe. I ordered it from www.RoadID.com after seeing an advertisement in Runner's World magazine. (Because yes, now that I'm going to do a half marathon...I just HAD to subscribe to it.) It's so cool and it's way more convenient than bringing my drivers license with me every time I run outside. I'm always afraid I'm going to lose my DL, so I feel better knowing that all my information is strapped securely to my laces in case there's ever an emergency when I can't speak for myself. It's a pretty inventive and safe ittle device if you ask me. I thought about posting a picture of it but then decided against it because it has my address on it. That would be like asking for a stalker....no thanks.

So, that's it then. Training has begun. I'm thankful for the two days of rest per week, I'm sure I'll need it.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you've got everything well in hand! What schedule are you working off of? I've got my schedule all worked up thanks to Hal Higdon and Google Calendar. Hal's schedule is only 12 weeks and assumes you are already easily running 3 miles a day. With the baby break and having a bunch of extra time, I've modified it a tad to stretch it out and include time to get back into 3 mile form before training really starts. I'm really impressed with your drive and motivation and I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to run the whole thing, either. I think you're taking a great approach and I know you'll do great. Just make sure you have lots of fun doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You are totally hard core! You are gonna do great I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the road ID... I think I'll get one even though I'm not a "runner" yet. You never know when I might need to be identified.

    ReplyDelete