Saturday, May 8, 2010

Runnin' down a dream...

It seems all I can really think about lately is the half marathon. I do indeed realize it is still many months away, but I can't help but prepare well in advance. I think I am just trying to get everything lined up so there's no backing out. But there really is NO backing out...my spot is already registered, entrance fee paid. I HAVE to run the half marathon.

I am in the process of trying to lose about 10 lbs. to be at a more ideal "racing weight." (Don't I (sort of) sound like I know what I'm talking about?!) It's been tough though; I haven't been able to stick to it without veering off my "diet" course. Having some unexpected (and totally NOT serious) health related things going on has added to stress of my normally manageable healthy eating plan. I may or may not have consumed a few servings of ice cream in the past few weeks. Ehh, who cares. It was definitely worth it.

I am committing to losing the 10 lbs. in any case. My official training starts June 27, so I'm giving myself until then to do it. That's a good 6 weeks. I just need to dig my heels in and do it already...I have most definitely been stalling and not staying on track. The time has come, however. Goodbye ice cream! See you in a month or so!

Aside from the fact that I have those few pounds to drop, I am amazed at how different I look and feel. I am so different from the person I was over a year ago. I have always been confident (thanks, Mom!) but I have tapped into a sort of new self confidence. More like an I-can-do-anything-I-put-my-mind-to confidence. It's not even about body image, but more of a mindset. Yes, I'll admit I was ecstatic when the last 4 pairs of bottoms I bought were a size 6, (ME! A 6! Thought I'd never see the day...) but I am so totally in tune with this attitude that I really can do something if I want to badly enough. There's a quote in this book I read, let me refer back to it... Ok, here it is: "There's a difference between I want to and I will." That's the exact way I feel about this half marathon. Not only do I want to run the half marathon, but I WILL run the half marathon!

On another note, I decided to fashion a Vision Board to keep my motivation up during my training. A Vision Board is supposed to be a "if you can dream it, you can do it" type of thing, and I'm all about positive thinking, so I thought it would be beneficial. I ripped and tore and disassembled many magazines in order to find the perfect motivators! I was on a Vision Board making kick for about 3 days, and when the last bit of glue dried I was very satisfied with the end result. (I even threw on a few rhinestones after the layout was complete, because rhinestones are just so typically me...)

Here's the board:



I also got a planner that I filled up with each run/cross training activity that I will do from June 27 to November 29. My training schedule is pretty intense. Looking at the days that say "3 miles", "4 miles", "6 miles", "8 miles" is a little nerve wracking! The most mileage I will run at one time is 12 miles a few weeks before the actual race. I also got a big dry erase calender to write the training schedule for the month on. Not only do I have a handy dandy planner, but I have a big 'ol dry erase board that will stare me in the face each morning when I wake up. My hope is that it will scream at me to get up and get going. If I don't start getting into the right mind set now, it'll be a struggle to keep motivated then.

In addition to the Vision Board, I also made an appointment with a specialty running store for a shoe fitting. The Red Rock Running Company isn't too far from my house, so I thought that making an appointment there would be my best bet. Today was the appointment, and I wasn't really sure what to expect. I was a little intimidated when I walked into the store, and I was sure I had "newbie" written on my forehead in Sharpie marker. The salesman who helped me was so cool! He asked if I had any injuries (no major ones) and if I was training for something (yes, a half marathon). First off, he assessed my arches by having me stand barefoot (albeit 1 week overdue for a pedicure) and squat a little bit. After he saw that I have freakishly high arches, he said it was time for me to run barefoot on the treadmill. So, not only was I going to run barefoot on the treadmill, but he was going to videotape me running so he could assess how my foot hits the ground (treadmill in this case). So, there I am....running completely barefoot, in front a guy I've never met, trying to keep a good form while other customers come in and mill about. Yeah, interesting experience. The guy plays my footage back in slow motion and spouts off a whole bunch of different terms that I pretended to understand. Apparently, I have mild to moderate pronation. He pulled a few pairs of shoes and I tried them on. He suggested I go for a run outside to really see how they would feel, so I did. After trying on 3 different pairs (A pair of Asics, a pair of Saucony, and a pair of Brooks) I settled on the most glorious pair of Asics I've ever seen. He even pointed out that I in fact do not wear a size 7.5, but a straight up 7. I was excited about that! I took the shoes for another test run on the treadmill so that the salesman could videotape me again to see if the shoes were a good choice. It was at the moment when he cranked up the treadmill to a 6.0 that he complimented my "running style." He said, and I quote, "You have a really nice, quiet style..." I smiled inside. I suppose I could be worse off. I could run like this one guy at the gym. When I happen to be on a treadmill near him, I swear there is a stampede of dinosaurs approaching...THAT'S how hard he runs. The salesman wished me luck and said that after a few days of trying them out, if they feel great that I should just "hit the pavement." I smiled inside...again.

All in all, it was an awesome experience. I left with a great pair of running shoes and even a fancy new pair of socks. Getting my new shoes is super exciting! I am going to break them in for a few days to make sure they are the pair I want to log hundreds of miles on. I have a feeling they are going to work out nicely, and we will be very happy together.







I have also been working on a play list for my iPod that I have affectionately titled A Half Marathon is 13.1 Miles. Remember That. I love, love, love making play lists to begin with, so I knew I just had to have a good one for all this crazy training business.

Some of the songs on the perfect running play list that I conjured up:

"Find My Way" - Gabe Dixon Band
"How Far We've Come" - Matchbox Twenty
"Runnin' Down a Dream" - Tom Petty (credit to him for the title of this post)
"Carry Out" - Timbaland ft. Justin Timberlake
"Kiss" - Prince
"Higher Ground" - Stevie Wonder
"You Shook Me All Night Long" - AC/DC
"I Wish" - Stevie Wonder
"Pride (In the Name of Love)" - U2
"Gimme Shelter" - Rolling Stones
"Imma Be" - Black Eyed Peas
"Sympathy for the Devil" - Rolling Stones
"You Get What You Give" - New Radicals
"Ain't Too Proud to Beg" - The Temptations
"Halfway Gone" - Lifehouse
"Say Hey (I Love You)" - Michael Franti & Spearhead
"Highway To Hell" - AC/DC
"Once In A Lifetime" - Talking Heads
"Sir Duke" - Stevie Wonder
"Do You Love Me" - The Contours
"Mercy" - Duffy
"Ants Marching" - Dave Matthews Band
"In My Head" - Jason Derulo
"Speed of Sound" - Coldplay
"Desire" - U2
"Love, Save the Empty" - Erin McCarley
"Sweet Emotion" - Aerosmith
"In A Big Country" - Big Country
"All Over Me" - Josh Turner
"Back In Black" - AC/DC
"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson
"Grey Street" - Dave Matthews Band
"Superstition" - Stevie Wonder
"Galway Girl" - The Town Pants
"Shake Your Body Down to the Ground" - The Jacksons (HA! Brandi, I know you're laughing...)
"This Town" - O.A.R.
"Let Go" - Frou Frou
"Closer to Love" - Mat Kearney
"Syndicate" - The Fray
"Walk This Way" - Aerosmith (My secret goal is to learn every.single.word. to this song during the duration of this training. I've waited for this my entire life.)
"4 Minutes" - Madonna, ft. Timbaland and Justin Timberlake
"If" - Janet Jackson

That list is my musical taste at it's random finest! I'm sure I'll be making another one as the months progress.


So, Vision Board? Check. Planner/calendar? Check. Good running shoes? Check. Crazy-good play list? Check.


Next up....I'll just say it. Sports bra. A GOOD one. : )


*Note to self: 1 half marathon = 21.097494 kilometers.*,

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are getting all your ducks in a row. Now you can just start running :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it! LOVE you! I have read this post twice now and keep finding new nuggets of hilarity. You're a good writer! I love your vision board, so creative. I love your playlist, now make me one. I can't WAIT to book an appt with the shoe store, sounds like an awesome experience... although we probably have the same exact feet so I'll probably end up with the same shoes (AH!!!)

    And YES I was already laughing when I read "don't stop till you get enough". It's the shoulder shimmy visual that gets me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg! You are amazing! I like your positive thinking. I know you are gonna make it. I hope you keep blogging about you progress, I am very interested I will be one of your biggest fans for sure! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Megan!!
    I did that "running for a guy in the shoe store" thing too. I was embarrassed - especially since I felt old and a newbie. But the sales guy was very helpful and must be trained not to make sarcastic remarks to his customers. I bought the Brooks. I also brought John back to get fitted for shoes too.
    Keep running and you will soon need another pair of new shoes!! :-)

    ReplyDelete